The Walt Disney Company (Disney), which owns Marvel Studios, has announced that Avengers Endgame has made over $1,2 billion in cinema ticket sales during its opening weekend across the world. The previous opening weekend was held by its predecessor, Avengers Infinity War.
To put this in perspective, it took the popular Black Panther movie 4 weeks to cross the $1 billion mark and Avengers Endgame did that in just 5 days.
“From the very beginning with Iron Man, all we’ve wanted to do was tell stories that brought these characters to life onscreen the way we’ve experienced them as fans of the comics. That we’ve had so many other successes in this journey leading to this unbelievable result with Avengers: Endgame has been almost entirely due to the fans around the world who have supported us through it all. Our directors, Anthony and Joe Russo, and our writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, really brought this story home, and I am also incredibly thankful for our cast and filmmakers from across the MCU and all who’ve worked so hard to make these films the best they can be, including the amazing teams at Marvel Studios and Disney. And of course, without Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, none of this would have been possible,” said Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios.
Apart from these two movies, only four other movies by Marvel Studios have ever passed the $1 billion box office sales milestone. The other four movies are The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, and Captain America: Civil War.
Other key statistics for Avengers: Endgame:
- No. 1 domestic ($350 million), international ($859 million), and global ($1.209 billion) debuts
- No. 1 domestic Thursday previews ($60 million)
- No. 1 domestic single-day gross and No. 1 domestic Friday gross ($156.7 million)
- No. 1 domestic Saturday ($109 million) and Sunday ($84.3 million) grosses; Saturday is first $100 million+ day without previews
- No. 1 China opening day ($107.8 million) and opening weekend ($330.5 million) and already ranking as the No. 4 non-local film ever released thereFastest film to $1 billion globally (five days)
- Eighth Marvel Studios film to cross $1 billion; second to cross $1 billion this year (with Captain Marvel)
- Biggest industry opening weekend across all regions and in 44 markets, including Australia, China, Korea, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, France (admissions, non-local), Italy (non-local), Spain, UK/Ireland
- Biggest industry single-day grosses in 29 markets, including Australia, China, Korea, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, UK/Ireland
- Biggest IMAX global debut ($91.5 million)
- 96 percent Certified Fresh RottenTomatoes score
- A+ CinemaScore (U.S.)
What makes all these milestones for the Avengers Endgame movie even more impressive is that it runs for slightly over 3 hours.
Cover image credit: Thanos, Avengers Endgame.Share this via: