The Southern Africa Startup Awards, a circuit of the Global Startup Awards, has announced their inaugural competition in Afrika which will take place on 31 October 2018 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Nominations are now open for startups from all 15 SADC countries: South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Swaziland, Zambia, Namibia, Tanzania, Angola, Malawi, Mauritius, Madagascar, Democratic Republic of Congo, Seychelles and Lesotho.
The Global Startup Awards is the largest independent startup-ecosystem competition which already covers 45 countries in 5 regions of Europe and Asia and now Afrika.
“This Award is to recognize our tech superheroes that have shaped our continent, starting with Southern Africa- with their innovations and technology. People always consider Africa as the last part of the world, whereas we have so much here that we can compete with at a global level when it comes to technology and innovation” said Mckevin Ayaba, CEO at the Southern Africa Startup Awards.
The mission of the awards is to "find, connect, support, and celebrate key players in national and regional startup ecosystems and to fuse them together in a global entrepreneurial network." The hope is to create a matrix of opportunities for international partnerships, investment opportunities and commercial exchange for all participating and winning technology startups.
Some of the jury members and advisers for the Southern Africa Startup Awards are:
- Lee Naik, CEO of Transunion Africa - Johannesburg Area, South Africa
- Jeff Burton, founding member of Electronic Arts - San Francisco, California, USA
- Tanya Soman, Venture Partner at 500 Startups - San Francisco, California, USA
- Mixo Fortune Ngoveni Founder & CEO of Geekulcha, Pretoria, South Africa
- Omoju Miller, Senior Data Scientist, Machine Learning at GitHub - San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
- Hussein Kanji, Partner at Hoxon Ventures - London, United Kingdom
Nominations for the Southern Africa Startup Awards are accepted from anyone around the world. You can nominate your favorite "Startup Superheroes" from any of the participating countries in the various categories.Share this via: